A hungry American tourist bit off more than she could chew when she tried to cook lunch in her hotel room. Staff at the Hermitage Hotel in Mount Cook were called to her room after the guest complained she couldn't get her pizza out of the microwave oven.
When puzzled housekeepers visited the $300-a-night room to investigate, they discovered she had put the pizza in a personal safe and activated the airtight lock on the vault.
"We got there and told her politely, `I'm sorry, but that's not a microwave it's the safe,” executive housekeeper Annabel Fafeita said. "It took a while for it to sink in."
Because the guest, aged in her mid-40s, had entered random numbers on the safe's keypad while trying to cook the pizza, housekeepers had problems cracking the code.
"In the end we had to track down the man who has the master codes for the safe, so we could get it open and get the pizza out," Fafeita said.
Tourists these days